This rice is so good that we made extra to enjoy the next day! It is also healthy due to the homemade part - just some extra-virgin olive oil, long grain brown rice and lots of vegetables...oh yeah and if interested, tofu! (don't let that scare you away, though - optional)
Submitted by: Paula Penman
(check out her blog "The Extraordinary Mother")
- Uncooked long-grained brown rice
- 2-3 eggs
- Soy Sauce
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Favorite frozen vegeatables (or bag of mixed vegeatables: carrots, corn, peas, etc)
- Ground ginger and black pepper to taste
- Firm tofu, cut into large pieces (optional)
1) Cook rice according to package directions and then refrigerate. (Amount depends on family size. Remember, rice cooks up and always makes more than you think)
2) Scramble eggs on 1 tsp. of olive oil. Remove from pan and cut up egg into smaller pieces.
3) Add more olive oil to coat same pan. Add chilled rice and stir to coat with olive oil. Keep heat low so that rice does not burn. Sprinkle liberally with pepper and ginger for great flavor! Stir rice to mix.
4) Add vegetables and allow to cook until warm (5-10 minutes - longer if fresh vegetables). Add tofu and egg. Stir and mix well. Voila - done!